Saturday, June 4, 2022

BookHookup talks with YA Sci-fi author S. T. L. Armstrong

BookHookup sat down with Sean Armstrong (pen name S. T. L. Armstrong) author of The Green Girl and the Serum and this is what he had to say:

BH: When did you consider yourself a writer? You know what I mean? The time when you realized that you crossed the line from 'want to be a writer' to 'I am a writer'.

SA: Before I started working on my Green Girl series I wrote fan fiction based on The Mask: Animated Series. That’s how I first started writing. One day as I finished writing a piece and looked at it and thought, I’m not happy doing what I’m doing and decided to start writing my own kind of stories.

 


BH: Do you feel you have more than one voice in your writing?

SA: Yes, by giving my characters their own voices and making them stand out from each other. Stacey talks very soft and feminine however, she is strong willed especially in her determination for Ben as well as other members of Haven. Her abilities, thanks to the serum, have given her a heightened awareness as well as a super healing factor and lime green colored skin. Ben on the other hand is the reluctant leader. He is shy and makes rash choices, thanks to the serum he has gained psychic abilities.

BH: What kept you writing while getting rejection letters or struggling with writer's block?

SA: With writers block it is simple. I just take a few moments away from my computer. The break helps to clear my head and my creativity comes back. As for rejection letters, I made the choice to self publish because I wanted to keep the rights to my book and it gives me more freedom.

BH: Do you use certain tricks that help prevent you from straying from your goal?

SA: Normally I mind map everything in my head starting with the first few chapters. This helps keep my goal in mind. I also like to set deadlines. It gives me clear targets to work toward.

BH: How did you come to set this goal?

SA: I set goals in other areas of life. It just seemed to be the natural way to give myself focus. Measurable goals and deadlines set specific targets to reach my goals. When I do, it energizes me to keep writing.

BH: What inspired you to write The Green Girl and The Serum?

SA: Three main factors inspired me to write this book and the others in the series. The first was my ex-girlfriend who’s name was also Stacey Roberts. She pushed me to write the first two manuscripts. The second was the film Unbreakable which focused on superheroes and what it would look like if they lived among us? That was a big inspiration for me, and the last was the Metal Gear Solid series of games. Again it was the story and the characters which inspired me.

BH: How long will we wait for the next book?

SA: September of this year. My next book is called The Green Girl Destiny and will continue the story from where the first book left off as Stacey and Ben’s forces fight a battle with the Outcasts and their allies. The outcome will decide the fate of the world.

BH: How do you develop your plots and characters? Do you use any set formula?

SA: As I explained earlier I do a mind map in my head of both the setting, the plot and the characters.When plotting out my mind map I tend to do things randomly not in order either starting to make a mental note of my characters or the plot or even the setting depending on what I chose first.

BH: How do you come up with ideas for your writings and why do you feel you choose some over others?

SA: Along with the  mind map, I sometimes take notes before I start writing the story. Sometimes I make notes of characters and the plot making choices of what ideas to use and how best to use them by going through what I have written and choosing the ideas that I like the best.

BH: How much time do you devote to marketing your book and what kind of marketing do you recommend?

SA: I normally market my work daily on social media starting first thing in the morning and work till last thing at night. I would recommend authors do podcasts, author interviews, talking with their local libraries and also talking with bloggers about book reviews. These tools will get you and your book noticed.

BH: Do you have any upcoming events you’d like to mention like speaking engagements or book signings?

SA: In July, I have an upcoming author event at my local library in Stoke on Trent (Bethesda St, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent ST1 3RS) followed by a zoom meeting for a local community writing group where I will be the guest speaker. In August, I have another author event scheduled, this time at a local community cafe (Fenton Community Cafe, 1 Albert Sq, Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent ST4 3FA, 12:25 PM) where I am going to hire four body painted models to promote this event as well as taking photos and recording it for everyone to see.

BH: What are your current projects?

SA: Currently I have written three more books in this series. I intend to publish soon and I am also writing books five and six. Book two is titled The Green Girl Destiny, books three and four The Green Girl Daughters of Fate, and Daughters of Destiny, book five the New Green Girl Twilight, and book six The New Green Girl Bloodline ending.

BH: Where do you hope to take your writing in the future?

SA: Like most writers, I hope to make money from this series, but I also hope to inspire other authors and writers to write and create their own works.

BH: What dreams have been realized as a result of your writing? BH: Any special memories that you would like to share?

SA: Since I published my first book, it has received great reviews on both Amazon, Goodreads and also from a few bloggers. I am pleased with these reviews as they made me realize that people like what I write, therefore it is encouraging and pleasant to carry on.

BH: How do your friends and family feel about your writing venture in general?

SA: I am fortunate. They are really supportive of my writing journey and love my work. One friend said that he wants to write his own YA book and that I have helped to inspire him. That is worth more than I can tell you.

BH: What do you do to unwind and relax?

SA: I like walking, watching films, listening to music, reading, cooking, socializing with friends and family.

BH: If you had to do it over again, would you do anything differently?

SA: Maybe take my time and not rush myself. For my first book it took me three months to write, the same can be said for the other three.

BH: What advice would you give to writers just starting out?

SA: Believe in yourself and your work. Never give up. Keep pushing yourself until you reach your goal.

Author Sean Armstrong

About Author S.T.L. Armstrong

Sean Armstrong is a disabled author from Stoke on Trent Staffordshire England. After college, he took up the hobby of writing Fan Fiction. While he enjoyed the creative process, he grew bored creating stories based on someone else’s characters and decided to write his own YA brand. In 2019, he started writing the first two books in the Green Girl series during the Covid lockdown. Green Girl and the Serum was released on September 14, 2021, and has been well received. He went on to write two additional books and is currently writing another two, hopefully completing the series. Book two, The Green Girl Destiny, is due out in the summer of 2022.

 

 

No comments: